Pages

Sunday 1 June 2014

A starry night and a rambling dreamer.

June 1 2014
2256
As I write this, I'm sitting in the bus. I'm looking out the window and I can see the clearest night sky that I have ever seen. The darkness of the night has shrouded the trees and the road. The headlights of the bus and the night lights inside are the only illumination. Save for the stars. For they are shining brighter than ever. The moon is thin, pale yellow and crescent. She looks like a communion wafer that's been bitten. But the moon disappeared a long time back. I am no longer graced by her sight. Instead, there's thousands of stars decorating the dark, black canvas of the night sky. The trees on the side of the road hide them from me at times. But whenever the greenery thins out a little, my eyes are blessed by a sight that can only be described as heavenly. I don't know whether or not you are charmed by what the night has to offer, but she has me, heart and soul. The stars shine bright like little specks of glitter reflecting the light on a black background. The sound of violins, pianos and bells echo in my ears as the music reaches them through the earphones. And they provide the perfect atmosphere for such a vision. Here and there, there's the few stars that shine brighter and larger than the others. I know not much of astronomy. So forgive my ignorance if I am unable to explain all that I'm seeing in an eloquent manner. I haven't the faintest idea what I'm seeing. I remember studying that stars are merely great big balls of gases and fire that lie light years away from this planet that we dare to call home. This past year I learnt in physics that stars do not twinkle. They merely emit light. It's the earth's constantly moving atmosphere that causes the light to refract a few times or so which makes the stars appear to twinkle. I could go on and on about this. I might be slightly Incorrect, but I remember learning this. I remember writing it down a few times. In my examinations. But sometimes, my inner imaginative child pops out. And she needs a bit of magic to believe in. I know the science behind it. But I can't help but feel like a little girl looking out into the vast expanse of the sky, imagining things that most probably do not exist. But bear with my ramblings, If you will. You've heard me go on and on as a lovesick teenager. That's merely one tiny part of who i am. I am many different things. I am many different kinds of people. I'm me. A mix of various different stereotypes and opinions. My eyes hurt looking into the glaring headlights of the trucks and other vehicles that pass by my bus, going in the opposite direction. But then I just raise my head, and look up at the sky. And I feel comforted. My eyes hurt less. They widen in amazement and childish wonder. I think of the kinds of things that lie out there. In that sea of black. With the little shimmering ships sailing around in its expanse. Extremely slow ships. For they do not seem to have moved a fair inch since I last raised my head to look up out the window and marvel at their beauty. I'm typing quite slow. As it is late. And my eyes hurt and I'm tired to the bone as I hadn't slept a wink last night. And I have to sleep in a seat in a moving bus tonight. I keep looking out. As it seems to calm my eyes. The music plays faintly as my earphones have fallen out and they lay dangling from my ears. And slowly my vision is getting blurry. I had hoped to wrote more of the night. But the cool air cradles me and the night beckons me. She asks me to shut my eyes and let go of this realm for another. One where I can fly up and into the black Sea. Where I can flutter above the sails of the twinkling silver ships. When perhaps I might be able to be graced by the presence of the captains of these ships. The sailors. The ones that have deigned to let us pitiful humans enjoy the majesty and beauty that are their silver ships up in the black Sea of the midnight sky. So I fear I must bid you adieu, for the wind gets chillier. And the stars brighter. And my lids get heavier with each passing moment. Would you care to join me in my adventure in the realm of the dreamers? I promise you won't be disappointed or bored. For there is always something to do. Dream. The entire universe is in your grasp. But only if you dare to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment