Pages

Monday 2 June 2014

Letters to a lover. (5)

It took me almost two months of summer to get comfortable with talking to you. I remember our first date and how when I first heard your voice, I was awestruck. I heard you speak. I heard the words. But I didn't pay any head to them. I was too busy trying to get my body under control. The mere sound of your voice was enough to set me off. I stared at random inanimate objects and giggled like a fool. Just to inform you, I'm never like that. I'm normally a confident person. I can speak openly with any stranger. I've won elocution competitions. And debates. And I normally say whatever is on my mind. It doesn't matter who I'm talking to. But with you, everything is different. Just opening my mouth to say hi was hard enough. I was nervous and fidgety and I couldn't even look at your face. I stole a few glances, and they were enough to make me falter. I looked at your dark skin glistening with sweat. Your bright teeth shining when you smiled that wide toothy grin of yours. That cute little dimple that could melt me into a puddle. Your eyes sparkling behind your recently fixed glasses. I tried hard not to look at you, because I knew that if I did it once more, I wouldn't be able to turn away. I mustered up every ounce of courage when I touched your arm. My skin burst into a million sparks the moment I felt yours under my palm. When you nudged my leg with yours, I left mine in place, unmoving. I froze. My nerves got the better of me. I'll never forget the slightly raspy, deep tone of your voice.
Now, I can't go a day without listening to it. I don't care what you might say. You could go on and on about chemistry or something weird that would make no sense to me, but I'd still sit there mesmerized by the sound of your voice. My eyes closed. I Try hard to pay attention to the words. I can hear them. They stay in my mind long enough for me to form a response. But they fade away. And it's only your voice that remains. That one minute long phone call is enough. Just you asking me to call later, it makes me a bit mad, it I don't care, I got to listen to your voice. You said something. That's all that matters. I don't know what's happening to me. I'm pretty sure I'm insane right now. I might be rambling. I spent the amount of money that would normally last me a year, in four days. Just cause I was talking to you.
When I don't reply to something you've said, you ask If I'm still there. I always am. I just pause. Because I'm lost in your voice . It takes me a moment to realise what you're saying. It's going to be stuck in my head for the rest of my life now. And I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. For now, I'm blissfully happy listing to you rant and ramble about video games and your friends and whatever else you feel the need to talk about. I listen. I know what you say. I remember each and every word. I just choose to keep it in the back of my mind. And just enjoy the sound. Cause it's like music to my ears. And yes, even when you swear and cuss. Well maybe not then. I choose to ignore that bit. But yeah, everything else. Most of all, when you say that you love me. Because that's something I never ever imagined someone saying to me. And I know that when you say the words, you actually mean them. Which just makes it all the more beautiful and amazing to hear.

1 comment: